Wednesday, April 6, 2011

4/5/11 Run Intervals, Yoga

Tuesday 4/5/11
The weather is interfering with my training paddle again today! Lightning and strong winds made it impossible to paddle during my window of opportunity so it was on to plan b. My shoulder has still been a little tweaked so maybe someone is trying to tell me to take a rest.

Fighting Weight 204- (been stalled out for almost a week now, but I'm not too worried about it. I have been taking creatine which causes you to retain water weight)
Goal Weight 195 by 5/14 for Key West Race

Goal
SUP Intervals- rained out

Plan B
Run Intervals
Yoga

Workout Summary
Instead of trying to mimic the muscles and energy systems of SUP I wanted to take a little shake up and let my shoulder recover.

Run Summary
5 min jog at 6mph
5 X 2:1 intervals at 9 mph
Basketball shot cool down

I felt great on the run. 9 mph actually felt comfortable. I was very surprised with how quickly my HR recovered during intervals. That's part of the purpose of intervals, to control the spikes and return to lower HR. The fitter you are the faster they fall. This made me want to pat myself on my back.

Yoga
The yoga classes at our gym are great, but are never available in my down times. I went to a South Tampa studio on Platt street called Yogani. http://www.yogani.com/ I took their lunch time class. Here is the description "This class is one hour 15 minutes, one set of Bikram with a vinyasa in between. A beautifully rounded practice for those with a limited time at lunch but looking to get warm and work deeply into hips, shoulders with a glorious finishing sequence" Sounded great to me. I haven't done too much hot yoga so I was glad the class room was warm and not hot. I felt like 10 million dollars afterwards. The class truly energized me. I left for work at 4:40 and didn't get home till 6. This class gave me the energy and mind set to make it through the day. If you aren't a yogi, I suggest you try it. Mobility and core strength is a paddlers friend. Who couldn't benefit from being more relaxed and flexible. Chi is harnessed. I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment