Sunday, April 3, 2011

4/2/11 Stronger Than Carbon Fiber! Beach boot camp

I love Saturday's.
My friends have asked me to start a beach boot camp. The group ,energy, and excitement continues to grow every week.  After beach boot camp 3 SUP buddies joined me in my training paddle. It's so fun spreading the stoke.


Beach Boot Camp
KB's, DB's, MB's and SUP all blended together in a ffunctional core based class. We had 6 peeps in class today including one first time SUP'er, Lisa. We finished the class with a partner relay and my beautiful wife lit everyone up and gave her team a lead that would not be relinquished. Great Job E!


The SUP vibe in the Bay area keeps gaining momentum. I had my class of 6 going on while Brody Welte of Stand Up Fitness taught the Paddle Fit certification next door to a sold out class of 20! Kahuna Kai Adventure Center, also part of Stand UP Fitness had a 6 person lesson going on. My training partners joined up with me after boot camp and between all the groups there were 30 SUP'ers on the small Clearwater Sailing Center Beach!

Training Paddle
Jeff Comer, James Martin, and Matt Fillion and I had a 6 mile paddle planned to the spoil Island about 1 mile north of the memorial causeway. We launched from the Sailing Center Beach and I quickly took the lead. I wanted to be on the beach sipping coconut water before these dudes even got back to the bridge. As I was approaching the memorial causeway I had to pass one more boat channel. Of course 3 large boats came through at the same time and I had to stop and wait for them. They left me in some "washing machine" wake and I got pissed and tried to aggressively accelerate out of my dead stop to avoid falling off when SNAP! and SPLASH. I snapped my Kialoa Nalu in half and went flying in head first! It snapped in the middle of a carbon fiber paddle! I was 1.5 miles from the launch spot and my buddies were a bit back from me. I gathered my shards of paddle and it was time to prone paddle. My training buddies sat and chilled with me for a few minutes before I decided it was best to get my "swim" on. They continued on in the paddle. I was determined to beat them back. I alternated 20 swim strokes to 20 kneeling strokes. I have a new found respect for prone paddlers. My shoulders felt like molten magma. Thank god for the down wind. I couldn't wait to get to Brody and show him the paddle. Brody and the other paddle fitter's couldn't believer where the paddle was broken. I hope Kialoa will replace the paddle it wasn't even 9 months old and broke in flat water. I told him to order me a Quick Blade anyway. Apparently I need a stiffer shaft (that's what she said). I'm debating the 100 or 110 blade. What do you think QB users. My Nalu was 108in, I don't mind the big blade.


Anyway I guess I was still on the water for about 45 mins, about half the time I planned. I'll make it up on Sunday I guess. My training buddies wimped out and only went to the bridge. Come on guys step it up! The board was on my truck when you made it back.

SUP Community
I ran in to Chase from Water Monkey and Mike from Urban Kai while we watched the Hip Abduction SUP paddler Pat Klemawsihs's band. It was an all around great day for the SUP community in the Bay minus the paddle of course. check out thehipabduction.com. Amazing music. If you have seen my Youtube videos it's their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment