Tuesday, March 22, 2011

3/21 SUP Training Journal- Power Phase day 1

So excited to get into the power phase. Specifically NASM's EET(elastic equivalent training) phase
this phase is designed to
- enhance neuromuscular efficiency (brain body connection, how fast and efficient I can control motor skills)
- enhance prime mover strength
- increase rate of force production
- enhance speed strength

Do all of those sound like they could help out in SUP? A big yes and its much more fun than the endurance phase.

Here's a recap of how I have gotten here
November- Corrective Exercise/ Stabilization
December- Strength Stabilization
January- Max Strength
February-Mid March Strength Endurance

This approach is described as a progressive periodized model with a end result of peaking for major races in May and June. My body will never get to "used to a phase" and will continue to progress without plateaus or injury. The idea behind my strategy is to start by building a strong foundation and correcting muscle imbalances. I then added stabilization training to enhance the foundation and protect my joints for the more strenuous training to come. Next I went meat head and tried to get as strong as possible. The more weight the better, but all with a 3 dimensional core focus to make sure the strength was functional. Then onto strength endurance and finally power. In May I will focus on Power Endurance to hopefully be near my peak performance for Key West and the Gulf Coast race.

The EET phase is designed to be 5 reps of about 75% of max followed by a movement of the same muscles groups at low weight about 10% of max or Body weight for 10 reps or 10 sec to ensure max speed. I am starting with 1 minute rest after completing each pair of exercises to not fully recover, but still maximize power out put.

EET workout 1 (3 sets of each block)
Block 1
Power Clean 5 X 115
Tri Plane Squat Jumps w load X 10(round 1 sagital, 2 frontal, 3 transverse)

Block 2
Split Jerk 5 X 115
Hop Press 10 sec (round 1 sagital, round 2 lateral right, round 3 lateral left)

Block 3
Pull-up 5 X BW
TRX muscles up X 10 (I was amazed how much this burned at full speed I can do these all day)

Block 4
DB Bench Press 85 X 5
POP Pushups X10 (wow surprised how little power i had here)

Block 5
Free Motion Straight Arm Lat X5
MB Slams X 10 sec (way too much fun to throw temper tantrums in the middle of the gym)

Block 6
Hammer Strength Jammer 45lb plates X 5
FM Punch X10

Block 7 (the vanity rounds)
DB curls 35's X 5
Band Curls alternating X 10 sec

Block 8
FM Tricep pull down X 5
Dips X 10

I love this workout phase! Can't wait to progress in it!

Beach fun
Erica and I walked to the beach near sunset and played volleyball for about 45 minutes. Remember how fun and effective the idea of "active rest" can be! Burned a lot of extra calories, had fun, and bonded with my beautiful wife.

YOLO!

No comments:

Post a Comment