Thursday, March 10, 2011

Training Journal 3/10/11 SUP technique & Run

I woke up to thunder, lightning, and rain. So much for a beautiful day off to get some good training and chores done. I did however finally get 8 hours of sleep and make it past 6 am! The weather forecast made it sound impossible to get on the water today with a small craft advisory as the cold front pushed through. I laid and bed and read Total Immersion, my new swimming book. It really got in my head about the importance of technique over power or fitness. I am sure some of the hydrodynamics of swimming carry over to SUP, but here are some crazy stats, "to swim 10% faster requires a 33% increase in power. In the water drag is everything...kineseolgists estimate 70% of your swimming performance is determined by how well you streamline your body and only 30% by how powerful you are!" Hello paradigm shift.

Goal
Hammer 4-6 1 mile SUP intervals with 3 minutes rest in between each one
Run
Yoga

SUP Summary
I found a gap in the wind and headed out. I knew quickly that I was going to work on smoothing out my technique instead of going balls to the walls fast. I laughed at the weathermen as it was actually calmer than my paddle on Tuesday and very serene without the spring break riff raff.

Board Stock YOLO eco trainer

I averaged about 13:45 miles for 4.5 miles including my 3 minute "breaks". I felt like I was only giving it 75-80% with a focus on using my body efficiently and properly stacking the body's levers. So really with my breaks I was still close to my low 12 minute stock board miles and working way easier. I  realized that I am much tighter on my left side and it causes me a shorter reach and some movement of the paddle blade. I was proud of the fluidity of my stroke as I went on. I can't wait to further hone my new stroke thoughts and then trusting them to carry over at next Saturday's YOLO race series finale. Mind changing paddle today! I got a little dolphin treat as I went into my cool down. They were playing around at the mouth of my canal. I sat on my board and enjoyed the show.

Run Summary
I got to run with my favorite workout partner, my beautiful wife Erica. Erica has become quite the runner. She is currently in training for the Clearwater Iron Girl on April 10th. That will make 3 1/2 marathons for her in 2011. She is pretty much she-ra. Anyways, the weather screwed her up so we got a rare chance to run together.

5 minute jog
5 X 1:2 fartlek intervals (run all out for 1 minute then coast for 2 minutes) much harder than it sounds
15 minute beach walk at sunset (no pictures just mental snap shots)

Total distance 2.85 miles 35 mins
ps the wind came in. There were 15 mph sustained winds and gusts over 20
The gulf actually had waves if that tells you anything.

Yoga
Wow have i missed yoga. We tape the fit-tv namaste yoga. Its a little over 2o minutes without commercials. Just right to get loosened up and harness my chi. Feel amazing time for some green tea. ummmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment