Monday, March 14, 2011

Training Journal 3/14/11

After my relaxing Sunday evening and deep sleep, "spring ahead" was a non-factor. I woke up bright eyed and busy tailed at 5 a.m.

Goal
Swim 30-40 mins
Strength Training (endurance phase week 3)
Beach Fun

Swim Summary
I got my first break from work around 9:45 and I couldn't wait to apply my new knowledge from total immersion. I really can't say enough about this book. The author's teaching technique, method, and style are amazing. I want to jump ahead and get to the drills, but I have been learning so much by understanding the "why" I remain patient and keep getting better. The mind blowing thing I can't wait to apply is about swimming on your "side" like a sail boat instead of sinking and having a large surface area like a barge.
Boom immediate disappointment I am still a barge. I thought I understood the concepts so well I expected to be dramatically better from my paradigm shift. Truth is I am still fighting off the breathing component and I am still what the author calls a heavy swimmer, meaning i don't have great balance in the water, my legs drop. Anyway I still improved everything is becoming more natural. I am more relaxed and efficient and starting to get glide.
I didn't really count laps today, but i swam double digit laps the easiest I ever have! Once my expectations came back to reality I had my best swim to date.
Swim from 9:55-10:25

Strength Training Workout
The swim left me feeling refreshed. I was under a little time crunch so I know I had to be efficient with my workout. My aim today is to use similar blocks from the last couple weeks with a few tweaks and to use a lot of different equipment to give my body a little shock. 15 reps of each exercise.

Core Warm-up
KB Turkish Getups- 5 each side- used heavier weight
KB Triangles- 10 each side- went up in weight here too

Block 1
Jump Pullups (used different grips, and different climber swings each round)
Hammer Strength Jammer (went heavier here)
KB swings (different swings each round)

Block 2
Free Motion Push Pull (heavier here can feel building strength in my torso. probably best upper body exercise)
DB Pushup Row- always a butt kicker I was impressed with my endurance
2 to 1 decelerate squat drops (starting to prepare for power phase with low level plyos)

Block 3
TRX Tricep extensions
TRX high low
350 meter Row

Fun at the beach
I am the biggest fan ever of spring ahead. After dinner Erica and I walked to the beach and played "pepper" volleyball for about 45 mins before sitting down and enjoying God's light show. The big guy felt like showing off tonight. YOLO!





No comments:

Post a Comment