Monday, March 7, 2011

Paddleboard Orlando Race

Race Day! It was a day of firsts. First SUP race in Orlando. My first race in the elite 14 ft class. Erica and I's first time back to Orlando since we moved away 10 month's ago. Most exiting Erica's first SUP race. Nervous much? I psyched myself up by rolling through Charlie Sheen quotes my buddy Jake shared with me the night before. "I'm an F18, I have tiger blood, Adonis DNA, and duh winning."

Ned, Dave, and Paddleboard Orlando, put together a wonderful inaugural event. The elite class would be 6 miles and go twice around the 3 lakes of Lake Ivanhoe and through the narrow connecting channels under I4. I got off to a horrible start. I got pinned in between an 18 foot unlimited board and a prone paddler. My visions of "duh winning" went out the window pretty quickly as the top 5 got a jump on me. I wish I could have practiced more on the 14" board as it took the entire first lap for me to find the sweet spot and perfect the turns. I made up major ground on the 2nd lap and narrowly missed out on beating unlimited paddler Eric Lumbert for 5th place overall. The times were fast and a showcase of some up and coming FL talent.

Elite
1st Mark from Naples 12 6"
2nd Frank Dilenburg 14"
3rd Brandon Rahae 12' 6"
4th Chris 12 6"
5th Erik Lumbert unlimited
6th Me Garrett McCoy 14"

Womans
Marry Anne Boyer Willis Dominated as always

Rec
Luke Goetz
Ashley Clarkin

Enjoy the Pics





Here is an awesome video from my new SUP buddy and Rival Brandon Rahae. His lovely girlfriend Jessica did a great job putting this together.





What a great day! I had an amazing time and got my feet wet in the elite class. I am so proud of what Paddleboard Orlando has done for SUP in Central Florida and I am very humbled at the nice introduction and credit they give me.

Most of all I am proud of my amazing wife Erica who now shares the race stoke. She is bugging me to already sign her up for future race's. I love you babe great job.


look at that triangle of power

It's already getting over used, but "winning."

No comments:

Post a Comment