Sunday, March 13, 2011

SUP Training Journal SUP 7 miles

After a lighter exercise day yesterday I was stoked to see how I would respond with my Saturday morning training paddle.

Goal
Paddle around 7 miles

Launch Spot
My dock

Board
YOLO 12' eco trainer

Summary
I had to get an early start due to the fact that I had a beach boot camp class at 9:30 and we were going to the Phillies vs Rays spring training game that afternoon. I left the dock and paddled the 1.5 miles across the pass to the Clearwater Sailing Center Beach. I was supposed to meet Matt Fillion my new SUP buddy there at 7:45, but apparently he was running late. I proceeded to do 1 mile of buoy turns. I simply went back and forth between 2 buoy's and really worked on my foot placement and strokes. This practice was priceless. I need to do more of this. It's safe to say my turning skill doubled in my 15 mins of practice. I went on the beach to have a sip of water and decided to give up on Matt as it was past 8 o'clock. I visualised next Saturday's race start and sprinted out hopping on to my board smoothly and making a sharp left buoy turn when I heard Matt's horn honking. Matt and I caught up for a minute before I explained our target training route. I have really enjoyed paddling with new SUP racers. I didn't think I would since I like to do my own thing and I am particular about my training sessions, but it's really cool to encourage others to step their game up. It's also good practice to know some one is chasing you :). We headed underneath the Sand Key bridge and took a left at the jetty along Sand Key Park. We paddled about 1.75 miles from the sailing center before we turned back. Matt and I said our good bye's near the jetty and I cut across the pass back south so I could make it back in time to refuel before beating up the lovely ladies of my beach boot camp. I felt fantastic the entire paddle. The form I worked on on Thursday appeared to stick as I was both efficient and fast. I even smoke my last mile in 11:37 which is pretty ridiculous on a stock board and after the mileage I had already put up. Great confidence building paddle!

Total paddle 7 miles
time 1:37
AVG speed was under 14 minute miles even though we had some windy conditions and I paddled in a circle for about 25 mins!

Other News
I got my Green Vibrance supplement in the mail. Great way to get "super food" propbiotics and to make sure I am maximizing my veggie intake. Felt fantastic after. I also had coconut water for the first time as a recovery drink. Much more natural than gatorade and I felt great!

Beach Boot Camp
Erica's friends requested my services for a beach boot camp at the Clearwater Sailing Center Beach. It was a fun mix of SUP intervals, Kettle Bells, Medicine Balls, Strength Training, and Bridge runs. Look at these lovely ladies and this location. What a rough life I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment