Wednesday, March 23, 2011

YOLO Winter Race Series #4 Clearwater- Summary

This one was for all the marbles. Several of the point titles were up for grabs. Including the men and woman's 12'6" race class and most importantly to me the stock division title. Brandon Rahae and I have had quite the battle over the YOLO series.
Brandon won
Race 1- In St. Pete on the Bay The "Brody Bowtie" course by dominating me on turns and winning by :55 sec
Race 2-  In Clearwater on the inter coastal in tough conditions by :34 sec

I won
Race 3 by :55 sec in Sarasota on the "Nascar course"

I needed to win by :35 sec to take home the points title. I was feeling very confident as this was my home course launching from the Clearwater Sailing Center Beach heading through the pass and back south along Sand Key before completing 2 buoy turns and heading back. Brody is a lier if he thinks this course was 4 miles. I use my GPS watch all the time on this course it is closer to 4.5 miles. So don't feel bad about your times guys.

How my race went
I had my best start ever. Was the first one to the buoy by a few seconds. I knew Brandon would be coming on strong as he is usually quicker than me in against the wind or against the tide conditions with his crazy fast RPM choke down stroke. Sure enough we were dead even by the time we got to the bridge. Brandon took the inside route close the jetty as did much of the field. I was laughing confidently as I knew this strategy would cost the field as soon as a boat come through with cross chop coming off the rocks. Sure enough no boats and Brandon had a 10 sec lead by the end of the jetty. The turn at the jetty had some wicked title flow and 2 racers from the race class decided to drop on their knees right in front of me at the turn. This killed my turn momentum and nearly knocked me in. I even went across the back of the guys board as I cursed at him under my breath. By now Brandon and Mary Ann were a good :30 sec in front of me and Brandon was set up right behind her drafting. Dreams of the point title went out, but I thought I could still win the race. I new I could gain on the down wind, but my catch up was minimal. When we got back to the jetty Marry Ann and I took the wide route as Sue and Brandon went inside. This time the strategy worked out as Marry Ann got in front for the win over YOLO Sue and I closed the gap on Brandon. It was an amazing finish as Brandon beat me by about :15 sec, Marry Ann beat me by about :5 sec and YOLO Sue finished close behind me. The video will tell the story



Check out the official final race standing's on YOLO's website

You should have seen Chase Kosteretz. He beat YOLO Justin by a full 2 minutes. The water monkey was cruising through the water and claims he got off to a bad start. Ha.

The most rewarding thing about this race was encouraging two first time racers to compete. Co-worker and my trainer, Jason Grace did the race and this was only his 3rd time on a board! He did fantastic! Jason even beat a few strong paddlers, not naming any names Matt.

Client and SUP enthusiast Jeff Comer competed for the first time in the 14 ft class. He apparently wanted no part of the start letting every one clear out before he hit the water, but he finished strong and had a great race. Check out the picture towards the end of the video where I am standing in front of a blue YOLO original with 2 other guys. Jason is on the left and Jeff is the ripped dude in the middle. He is my hero if I am half as active or in shape as he is when I get close to "the hill" I will be proud. Don't let back conditions, diabetes, or age hold you back. Jeff doesn't and look at him!

Unfortunately, I had to bail before the awards ceremony. My family was in town and I had them and several friends waiting on me to go to the Zac Brown Kenny Chesney concert. I really wanted to cheer on my rivals and bond with the SUP family, but having worked for Brody I know what "5 minutes means"

I want to give a shout out to Brandon Rahae. I didn't think anyone can out "rocky" me. I have a will to win and an under dog attitude that propels me to win by out working people. Brandon has the heart of a lion. Watch out 12'6" racers, there is a new shark in the water. Know that this guy will be on the podium regardless of who's in the race. Thank you for taking me from a good racer to a strong competitor. You have got to be an amazing influence on your PT clients. Move to Tampa I have a job for you and we can train together.

Also a shout out to Sarah Langdon my YOLO sister. Your attitude is fantastic. I want to see you take it to the next level and earn a race board like I have. I know you can do it!

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog! Great recollection of the race!

    The comment about Brandon's carzy fast RPM choke down stroke is so true!!! Your co-worker Jason did do awesome, he blew past me right after the bridge and I remember thinking or even maybe yelling out "your doing awesome" or something like that

    Thanks for the shoutout, and words of encouragement. It means ALOT.

    Can't wait for the next race! YOLO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and video!
    I think I may have been the one you were cursing at the jetty turn...I got into a cluster with the guy on the catamaran thing and another guy on a K15 while trying to stay standing in that crazy current.
    Too much training on the lakes of Central Florida, and not enough time in the choppy salty stuff :)

    See you at the next one!

    ReplyDelete