Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Training Journal 3/8/11 Endurance domination

3/7/11 Workout
Yesterdays workout doesn't deserve mention. My 4:45 wake up call came to early and I was pretty much a waste of space yesterday. It must have been that lack of rest thing I was talking about.

Quick summary
Dynamic Warm up
Sun Salutation warm up targeted to my tight areas
Core series 1

Goal Endurance phase workout all reps 15 no rest until block is completed
Block 1
Assisted Pull ups Plate 8 (I'm a big dude 210)
Free Motion Step & Press 42.5 lbs each handle
Kettle bell Triangle (amazing SUP exercise, I will feature soon)

DB Incline Alternating Chest Press 70's (15 each arm)
Free Motion lunge hold transverse plane row 40 lbs (another great SUP exercise)
1 Leg Free Motion chops (assorted angles)

most people would be happy with this workout. I normally add another block and was planning on swimming, but I went for the rest route.

3/8/11
Wow rest does improve performance. I am trying to stay away from Charlie Sheen quotes, but I was an F-18 today.

Fighting Weight (Goal 195 by 5/14 at Key West race)
209 with vibram shoes and Nike shorts. Woo hoo under 210!

Goal
4-5 mile run with 10 X 1:1 intervals
SUP training session with 5:1 intervals for about 90 minutes

Pissing Excellence
I ran from my gym, Harbour Island Athletic Club to the Davis Island bridge to warm up (a little over a mile)
10 1:1's in my vibrams and in the grass. (focus on turn over, I get lazy with my turnover since I am a "power runner"
I ran back to the convention center and did 15 stairs, then sprinted back to the club.


This is part of the "stadium" I talk about and future HIAC SUP launch spot.

Total time 50 mins and approx 5 miles not counting the stairs
I was still feeling good so i decided to warm down in the pool.
I swam 8 laps in 15 minutes. Definitely improving. Where is my total immersion book already!

SUP Session
Paddled 1.5 miles from my dock to the Clearwater Sailing Center Beach. It's definitely March in FL, tourist, jet ski's, wind, more touristy boats, and did I mention tourist. I made a quick beach landing and worked a "beach start" and buoy turns. Thank you ear buds so I could tune out the tourist waving and yelling at me. There was a lot of tidal flow, boat chop, and wind until I made it through the pass to the Gulf. The first 2.5 miles were challenging, but i still posted sub 13 minute times on my stock YOLO Eco Trainer. The off shore wind made the Gulf very flat and enjoyable. I settled into the groove with no distractions except the dolphins flanking me.

Once in the Gulf I did 10 X 5:1 intervals
I focused on turnover rate really working the "Tahitian stroke" I learned from Dave Kalama.
I feel it is extremely important to only think of one technique component at a time.
I made it another 2 miles south in the Gulf towards Bell Air before I turned around. 4.5 miles total from launching spot. I continued the intervals until I made it back to the pass. This is where I hit the wall.
It took me nearly 40 miles to battle the wind, boats, and exhaustion back to the dock.

I covered 8 miles in a little over two hours. I accomplished my speed interval work and a new level of paddling exhaustion. i am having race board withdrawals.

Other cool news
Had a great talk with Brody Welte of Stand Up Fitness today. We are bringing SUP to downtown Tampa and Harbour island Athletic Club! We are starting with demo's, then lessons, then paddle- fit. After that hopefully I have convinced corporate to make the investment. YOLO!

3 hours plus of endurance time. Refuel and Rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment