Thursday, March 3, 2011

Training Journal Entry 3, 3/3/11

Goal
SUP interval training with training partner Jeff Comer
SUP race board acclimation and buoy turns

Fighting Weight- Trying to get to 200 by Key West Paddle board Classic 5/14/11
211 with my vibram 5 fingers, Maui rippers, and of course my Victory Kore dry shirt on

Oh what a glorious day. Fun morning including a new client whom recently had back surgery fusing her back from T6- L3. We will be working in the pool. What an experience to help a former professional cheer leader regain her function. What a challenge. It was also another glorious day for Fit for tennis. I Love my job!


Corrections from yesterday- Jason Grace my training buddy wanted it to be understood that our KB waiter walk where with a 44lb KB and our Hanging incline presses where with 26 lb KB's. I guess we need more credit.

SUP Training
Start 11 a.m.
Conditions glorious minus the 15-20 mph wind
Launch Point- Post Harbour Apartments dock in downtown Tampa across from St. Pete Times Forum
Comer my new training partner and I paddle for about 5 minutes to get lathered up for battle. In an attempt to limit the wind we headed out on the channel between Harbour and Davis Islands.
We had 8 sets of 3 minutes of all out paddling to 1 minute recovery
or in Garrett equations 8 X 3:1
Many endurance athletes always go at constant speeds. These intervals help increase cardiac output, improve the time it takes for your heart rate to recover, and helps increase stroke volume. I'll explore all these cardioterms in a later article.
We were straight in to the teeth of the wind for the first 4 intervals. I was forced to use my arms a little more than normal to power through (or I was a little fatigued from yesterday, Thanks Jason)

Comer is just getting into taking SUP more seriously so this pretty much kicked his ass. He is a former kayak racer, rock climbs, and pretty much works out for 3 hours a day everyday. I don't really know what he does for a living, something about military contracts. I am just going to pretend he works for the CIA with the amount of free time he has on his hands and the fact he disappears for weeks at a time. Nobody should be as ripped as he is at 49. He is my hero. Anyway I was kicking his ass even though he was on a 14 foot Bark. It's great training to feel like some one is chasing you at all times :)

We had covered over a mile in our first 4 intervals. Comer kept trying to make small talk to stall before the next interval. I stopped paddling back to him to put a stop to the stall tactics. Much easier paddling on the way back except the muscular fatigue. Comer tried to keep up on interval #7 and we were neck and neck for most of the way before he almost puked. We paddled to the bridge to Davis Island and turned around for about 5 minute recovery.
On the way back to our launch spot we did what I call leap frogs. Where Comer would sprint out in front of me and then casually paddle we kept leap frogging each other in this fashion until Comer ran out of gas. Not tying to rag on poor Mr. Comer, just facts. This was only his second serious training paddle. I resorted to "the stadium finisher."  I call it the stadium finisher because we are at the center of Tampa's water front. We are visible from the convention center, several major hotels, Jackson's, and other high rises. Pretend all eyes are on me making the final kick to the finish line. I let it rip to the "Chanel side" bridge.

Total water time
57 mins
3.95 miles (pretty good considering wind, stock boards, and recovery time)
Comer whipped us up a quick lunch of smoked salmon and protein shakes as we talked shop and enjoyed the view from his 14th floor penthouse suite.

Time to Prowl
Want to give a big thank you to my buddy Brody Welte of Stand Up Fitness and YOLO board for the loan on the 14 foot prowler race board. The Padleboard Orlando race on Saturday will be my first time stepping in with the big boys.

The wind was worse on Clearwater Beach so my paddle with my lovely wife Erica got scrapped. I took the prowler out for about 30 mins just staying in my canal and getting used to turning the board. These race boards are like cheating. I can't wait to see how I stack up to the field on a race board I took down 90% of the field on my stock YOLO eco trainer last race. Watch out people

No comments:

Post a Comment